Friday 16 January 2015

The Cycling Teacher

I've been cycling to school in Essex and North Somerset for the last four years. My commute is about an 18 mile round trip covering some busy A roads, a junction of the M5 and some winding country lanes. Whilst other professions have a wealth of commuters, teaching doesn't seem to have the same army of Lycra clad cyclists. For those thinking about cycling to work, read on:

1. Health: Regular exercise, whilst you may not be able to cycle every day, raising your heart beat a few times a week will have a great impact on your body. I also find that it keeps my immune system in good shape and all the school bugs away.

2. Relax: I find the days that I cycle, I'm far more relaxed at home. I've had a chance to think about my day and plan what needs to happen the next. This is my reflection time. #connect

3. Summer: The sun is shining, it isn't dark until 9pm. A long, winding country lane is a perfect antidote to end of year assessments, sports day and writing reports. #notice

4. Efficiency: On a bike you are somewhat limited with what you can take home. This allows you to decide which tasks are the most important and which ones aren't necessary. I rarely take books home to mark and this has developed my use of AfL practices and giving the children greater chance to respond to feedback.

5. Role Model: Most children in my Y5 class cycle or scooter, I like to think that I demonstrate the 'Healthy School' ethos that is part of my school. It's also good for reinforcing road safety, discussing regular exercise and the odd impromptu maths problem. 

Things to consider: 

1. A bike: To cycle a bike is essential, a decent bike will be reliable and safe. The last bike I bought was through the cycle to work scheme http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk which should be available through your LEA or own school. I suggest visiting a local independent shop to get some good advice and a quality bike, it will cost more but it'll be worth it.

2. Clothing: Embrace the Lycra, it keeps you warm but let's the heat out. Get a high visibility jacket or top (white is also good) and helmet to keep yourself safe. Padded trousers are also a must if you're cycling a long way or regularly.

3. Equipment: You should carry a spare and a bike pump (I've only had one puncture going to school-touch wood). Think about what you may be carrying, you may want to use a backpack or invest in pannier bags and a rack. Back sweat can be uncomfortable. Lights are a legal must when cycling during winter, invest in some powerful lights two you are well seen and you can look out for potholes (there may be many) and drain covers.

4. Shower: Your school may have a shower in some form or another, the disabled toilet is usually a good place to start. Check that you can use it, in many cases it may do the school a favour when legionella disease is monitored.

5. Storage: Locate a safe place to leave your bike and get a lock. You'll also need a place to store your cycling gear. I'm lucky enough to have a cabinet for toiletries and a place to keep 'school' shoes to save them being carried each day.

6. Check the Weather: Again and again. Rain can be annoying but I find it refreshing. Sunshine may need sun cream. Look out for weather warnings, ice can be very dangerous depending on your route.
Fog and a lack of visibility usually make me stake the bus but wind is the real stinger.

7. Route Planning: Finding a good route is a great geeky pastime. http://www.sustrans.org.uk @sustrans has lots of great information and maps to find good traffic free routes to work. 

8. Be Realistic: You won't be able to cyle everyday, at first you'll feel tired but that will get easier. The demands of teaching mean you'll have to go to on some CPD miles away, you'll need to take your laptop home or bring in a massive box to be a space ship so you'll need another mode of transport. One day a week, you could bring in your clothes for the week to limit the amount of luggage that you carry.

I hope this has inspired some, I can't recommend it enough. I'd love to hear about your attempts and any issues you've come up against. 
Falling the bike, try a walk instead #teacher5aday 

No comments:

Post a Comment